This is the recipe that’s been a favorite for years. There is play room for ingredients in this recipe. I usually substitute tiny pretzel sticks or tiny pretzel shapes for one of the Chex cereals. And I usually double the recipe because nine cups is simply not enough. If you double the recipe, you will want to use a large foil turkey roasting pan because it will not fit into a shallow roasting pan. This is addictive! A variation of this recipe is called Nuts and Bolts.
The recipe below is as it was written. I have a much better way of preparing it. Melt the butter on the stove top or in the microwave, then stir in all the seasonings. Have the dry ingredients in a roasting pan. Pour the butter mixture OVER the cereal and nuts, then mix. That way you won’t have excessive butter in the bottom of the roasting pan. This method is much preferred than the way the recipe is written. I learned this the hard way!
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (I always use butter)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups Bran Chex cereal
- 2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 1 cup salted mixed nuts
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Heat butter in a large shallow roasting pan (about 15 x 10 x 2 inches) in oven until melted.
- Stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add Chex and nuts. Mix until all pieces are coated.
- Heat in oven for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
- Spread on absorbent paper to cool.