In my Chicago days, I loved the street vendors, especially on Maxwell Street, where the famous Maxwell Polish Dogs were sold. Those and the Italian Sausage Sandwiches were my favorites.
Street Vendor Italian Sausage and Peppers
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Sandwich
Yield: 12 sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 hot or mild Italian sausages
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup white wine
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil and fry sausages on all sides until browned.
- Drain off excess fat and add the onions, garlic, peppers, tomato paste, wine, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until peppers and onion are tender.
- Serve on Italian bread rolls.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / ezumeimages