Let your slow cooker do all the work for you. This is equally as delicious as French onion soup made on top of the stove.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Author: Prickly Gourmet
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 quarts beef broth, no sodium added
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup (500 ml) croutons plain
- 8 ounces (236 ml) Gruyere cheese, sliced (can substitute with Swiss if needed)
- Place onions, butter, sugar and salt into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook for 7 hours on HIGH or until onions are soft and brown.
- Add beef broth, sherry, thyme sprigs and pepper to taste. Cover. Cook on HIGH for another hour.
- Sprinkle croutons across the surface of the soup. Add sliced Gruyere cheese. Cook for another 15 minutes to melt cheese.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / urbanlight