Chow Chow ( or Piccalilli) is a relish that is cooked or pickled. The vegetables are coarsely or finely chopped (use whatever vegetables you have – cabbage, green tomatoes, zucchini, etc. or follow the vegetable ingredients as listed.
Chow Chow is typically used as a condiment. Serve as a dipping sauce for breads or as a condiment to spread over the top of cornbread or top hot dogs and hamburgers, fresh grilled fish or chicken.
Mix it with mayonnaise to make tartar sauce. It can also be mixed with mayonnaise or crème fraîche to make remoulade.
Chow Chow is a great addition to a gift basket.
- 2 cups diced green bell pepper
- 2 cups diced sweet red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced firm green tomatoes
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4/ cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large non-reactive skillet, bring water, salt, sugar and spices to a simmer.
- Add vinegar and bring to a boil before adding all vegetables. Stir to coat all the vegetables; reduce heat to medium and continue to cook and stir for approximately 5 to 10 minutes until the vegetables become tender.
- Transfer to glass jars and refrigerate.