The navy bean got its popular name because it was a staple food of the United States Navy in the early 20th century.
Instant Pot Navy Bean Soup with Ham
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Soup
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2-3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 pound dried navy beans, rinsed
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1 1/2 pound) ham bone
- 8 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add butter, onion, carrots, celery and salt to IP. Use Sauté setting.
- Rinse and check beans, add to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and add water, place lid on.
- Cook at high pressure for 35 minutes.
- Take out ham bone, shred ham into pot,
- Put 2 cups beans in blender and blenderize until smooth or use an immersion blender.
- Stir soup; add salt and pepper to taste.