Mexican Street Corn Soup
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Soup
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher, sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk
- 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and minced jalapeno and sauté for about 5 minutes, then stir in garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cumin, and chili powder and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock until smooth and bring to a boil. Add the corn, sugar, and salt. When it returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in cream and cilantro.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, cotija cheese and jalapeno slices.