Louisiana Barbecue Shrimp is a classic recipe. Use sliced French bread for dipping into the sauce.
Louisiana Barbecue Shrimp
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Entree
Yield: 4 servings
- 12 raw colossal (10-12 count) Louisiana shrimp, unpeeled, with heads and tails left on
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 to 3 tablespoons water, divided use
- 1/2 lemon, seeded
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Place the first five ingredients in a heavy 10-inch, sauté pan, then add 1 tablespoon water.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemonover the shrimp and add the rind and pulp to the pan.
- Over high heat, cook the shrimp while gently stirring and occasionally turning the shrimp. After about 2 minutes of cooking, the shrimp will begint turning pink on both sides, indicating they are nearly half-cooked.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons water to the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and continue cooking, gradually adding the cold pieces of butter to the pan. While turning the shrimp occasionally, swirl the butter pieces until they are incorporated into the pan juices. The sauce turns light brown as it simmers. Remove from the heat as soon as the shrimp are just cooked through. Do not overcook the shrimp.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / Magone