Hoppin’ John is one of the finest comfort foods of the South.
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Entree
Yield: 8-12 servings
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro*Tel
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons Cajun/Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Place sausage in slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except rice. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Pour uncooked rice into slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 to 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.