Most eat this for breakfast or brunch, but it’s delicious any time of the day.
Fried Cornmeal Mush
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Breakfast
Yield: 14 to 16 servings
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Oil for frying
- Pure maple syrup
- Grease an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
- Boil 3 cups water.
- Combine remaining water with cornmeal and salt; add to boiling water. Stir until mixture returns to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Chill for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a large skillet, fry slices in oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with pure maple syrup.