Combine fresh ingredients to make a tasty dish perfect for hot summer days or nights.
Farmer's Market Mushroom Salad
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Salad
Yield: 8 servings; 1 1/2 cups each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 bell peppers of varying colors, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup arugula
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about five minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip and cook about five minutes more, until other side is same color; set aside.
- Sauté zucchini for about five minutes, adding additional olive oil to skillet if necessary. Turn off heat and add corn and rice; stir to combine. Cook for an additional three to five minutes to warm ingredients.
- Drizzle with remaining olive oil and lemon juice and gently stir in bell pepper and thyme; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes and arugula on a plate; pour on rice mixture and top with mushrooms.
- May be served warm or cold.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council.