Either fresh cooked chicken breasts or deli chicken will work in this recipe.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Author: Prickly Gourmet
Recipe type: Entree
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Monterey Jack or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, green chiles and onion mixture.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and coriander. Add broth; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir 3/4 cup sauce into chicken mixture.
- Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / MSPhotographics