Indescribably Delicious Banana Bread
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 10 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup or more chopped pecans
- Bread: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Mash bananas. Beat the eggs and add to the bananas with the vanilla extract and buttermilk. Mix well. Add to creamed butter and sugar mixture.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to banana mixture, beat well.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until bread pulls away from sides of pan.
- Let cool.
- Topping: Melt butter in saucepan. Add sugar and milk. Cook until very syrupy. Remove from heat and add chopped pecans. Pour over bread, spreading to all the corners and place under broiler until bubbly and brown. WATCH CLOSELY so topping does not burn.
* Use the darkest, softest, mushiest bananas that you can.