Deep South Pecan Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
I believe the browned butter in this pie is what makes it so delicious.
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell
- Whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Over low-medium heat, cook butter in saucepan, watching closely but not stirring, until golden brown about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not burn.
- Pour browned butter into bowl and set aside.
- Blend over heat the corn syrup, honey, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Add browned butter; blend again.
- Pour over pecans in pie shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 325 degrees and bake another 40 minutes. Center may
- seem a bit liquid but will set as the pie cools.
- Serve with real whipped cream or ice cream.
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / aubrey1